Sunday, June 18, 2017

"Just a Mom"


            Last night, my husband mentioned that someone at church asked if I wanted to help out with a school-year-long children’s program.  And it immediately made me a little panicky, afraid that I would be cornered into doing it when I don’t feel I can take on anything else right now.

            And then I worried a little that maybe I was too quick to say “no,” that I wasn’t being a good church member or contributing the way others were or giving God a chance to tell me to do it. 

            Should I add this responsibility?  Does God want me to or not, or does it not really matter to Him what I choose to do?  Do I have a right to do what I am most comfortable with, even if it places more burdens on others?  Is it selfish of me to just focus on being a stay-at-home mom right now?  Should I be doing more?


            I was thinking about all that this morning, going over and over in my head about how little I do outside the house and yet how I know I cannot add one more responsibility to my life at this time, nothing more than just being a “wife, mom, and homeschooler of four.”  Because I can barely keep up with that.  I feel like I am drowning sometimes in the responsibilities and all that I can’t get done around here.  I can’t take on one more thing.  It panics me to be obligated to something outside the home right now, in a “I don’t trust myself to not crack badly under the pressure.” 


            Or is the answer that I should take on one more thing, outside the house?  Would that breathe a little fresh air into my soul?  Would it lessen the stress because I would feel I am contributing in a meaningful way?  Would I find a greater purpose in life than what I am already doing?  Or would it suffocate me more and make me feel more stressed and stretched even thinner?  When I already feel like I am barely hanging on by a thread?


            I don’t want to make a decision – a- year-long commitment – based on guilt.  But I do know that it’s important to include God in these decisions and to follow where He leads, even if it’s to uncomfortable places.  So what do I do?


            I was contemplating all of this during my prayers this morning, and a wonderful thought hit me (the Holy Spirit?) …

            “You’ve chosen the harder job.”


             Somehow that little sentence made me feel better about doing what I know I need to do – saying “no” to the extra responsibility and focusing solely on being a stay-at-home, homeschooling mom right now.  (And I’m not comparing my “job” to anyone else’s, saying that my job is harder than theirs.  I just mean that compared to all the choices that I could have made, I chose the harder one for me.) 

            I am not wimping out and taking the easier path.  I have actually chosen the harder path.  To be a mom, day in and day out, with no pay, no vacations, no bonuses, no time off, no recognition, no outside help.  Working 24 hours a day for 18-plus years to raise children up in the Lord, to help them be healthy, productive, responsible, capable adults, and to help them develop a strong faith and accurate worldview and a love of people. 


            We moms have a really tough job and yet we don’t even realize it sometimes,  We let the world (and ourselves) make us feel like our work doesn’t really matter or make much difference, like we have to go out there and find more things to do, better things to do, more productive things to do. 

            We let the world (and feminism) tell us that we are nothing unless we are working outside the home, that staying home shows how weak and pathetic and brainwashed we are (by our husbands).


            But think about it really …

            What are some of God’s greatest commands to us?  Do they require that we leave the home and find a job in the city?  Do they require that we put our families second so we can make some other job first?  Do they require that we make a name for ourselves, showing the world how smart, capable, and successful we are?  Do they require that we find bigger and better things to do than what can get done in our own home and backyard and neighborhood?


            “ ‘Of all the commandments, which is the most important?’

            ‘The most important one,’ answered Jesus, ‘is this . . . ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’  The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ ”  (Mark 12:28-31)

           

                        “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world.  For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

            Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?  When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you?  When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

            The King will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.’”  (Matthew 25:34-40)


            “Train a child in the way he should go …”  (Proverbs 22:6)


            “Go and make disciples of all nations … teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.”  (Matthew 28:19-20)  (Surely “making disciples and teaching them to obey” includes our children and those in our neighborhood.  And we can reach other nations in different ways than just “leave your home to go overseas.”  We can contribute through prayer and giving money to missionaries and sharing the gospel on-line, etc.  No matter where you live or work, you are a missionary!  Are you living like one?)   


            “But seek first His kingdom and his righteousness . . .”  (Matthew 6:33)


            “ . . . whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.”  (1 Corinthians 10:31)


           

            All of these can be done wherever we work or live.  All of these can be done out in the world, in more public ways.  And yet all of them can be done in our own homes, among our children and our neighbors.


            Don’t let anyone belittle you, shame you, or guilt you into taking on more responsibility than what God wants you to take on right now.  Don’t let this world convince you that the only work that matters is work done outside the home. 


            You are responsible to God and to your family, first and foremost. 

            Your closest mission field is in your own home and neighborhood.


            Don’t sacrifice your own mission field to focus on someone else’s. 

            If you do, who will reach yours?


            And remember that there are seasons of life.  This “stay-at home” role won’t last forever.  Those kids will be grown and gone all too soon.  And then there will be another season of life, a new mission field. 

            But until then, remember that as “just a mom,” you chose the harder job.  One worth the effort and time that you put into it.  One worth doing with all your heart for the Lord and for those in your sphere of influence right now, those in your mission filed.  And one worth taking pride in (the good kind of pride, not the prideful self-pride kind of pride), because God has given us moms a high calling - caring for the hearts and souls and faith of our children, filling a place in their lives that no one else can fill. 


            The mission field isn’t “out there” somewhere, waiting for us to leave home to go serve in it.

            The mission field – our mission field – is wherever God has us right now, at this moment.  Even if it’s just in our own home and backyard.