Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Thank You for the Thorns (repost)

            Lord, thank You for the thorn of loneliness . . . for it makes me look even harder for You in the quiet places and helps me learn to be content with Your friendship.

            Lord, thank You for the thorn of discouragement . . . for it makes me pour out my pain to You and seek Your help because I need to know that You are walking through the hard times with me.

            Lord, thank You for the thorn of losing control . . . because it reminds me of Who really controls everything and it humbles me at Your feet.

            Lord, thank You for the thorn of constant house problems that our beyond our ability to fix  . . . for it keeps me on my knees before You and prevents me from ever saying, “Look at what my hands have done.”

            Lord, thank You for the thorn of constant financial struggle . . . for it keeps me from “materialism” and teaches me to be thankful for what we do have, for You did not need to even give us that much.

            Lord, thank You for the thorn of hand-me-downs . . . because it reminds me that “things” don’t really matter anyway, nor do they define who I am.

            Lord, thank You for the thorn of earthly failure . . . for it reminds me to try to see things through Your eyes, to remember that You see our hearts and judge our “success” differently than the world does.

            Lord, thank You for the thorn of wrinkles, aching joints, and prematurely silver hair . . . for it reminds me that this life is so short and that I need to be planning for eternity, and it encourages me to improve my attitude and outlook so that people see a beautiful spirit and smile and not just my old-looking outside.             

            Lord, thank You for the thorn of an aching heart . . . for it helps me notice the ache when I see it in others, and it makes me want to reach out to them with a kind word or deed.

            Lord, thank You for the thorn of attacks from the enemy . . . for it reminds me of my constant need to be in communion with You, to seek righteousness, and to maintain my spiritual armor.

            Lord, thank You for the thorn of menial tasks that we have to do over and over again every day, with little recognition or glory . . . for it reminds me that we are to be faithfully obedient in everything, doing even the smallest jobs to the best of our ability, for Your glory.  Because You see what we do and why we do it, and it matters to You.  And You will reward faithfulness in the end with, “Well done, good and faithful servant.”   

            Lord, thank You for the thorn of “prunings” . . . because I know that every time You prune something out of my life (even if it hurts), it will be replaced with greater spiritual growth and blessing.      

            Lord, thank You for the thorns . . . for I am learning that Your grace is sufficient and that You are strongest when I am at my weakest!